Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My Dad's Ordeal

Friday night he had chest pain (for the first time in his life) and went to Quincy Hospital. They saw something on his EKG (the machine they hook up to read your heart) and sent him by helecoptor to Reno. They put some dye into his heart (called a cardiac cath) and then found 2 blocked vessels so scheduled him for surgery Monday.

Surgery went well yesterday, but they found 3 blocked vessels, so took some vessels from his legs to replace the bad ones in his heart. The first time I saw him, he was asleep and still on the ventilator, but they took him off later in the day. At that point he was drowsy and not talking (the vent makes your throat dry and irritated).

I saw him a little bit ago and he was sitting up talking and seemed to be doing well. I am in a hotel room right now, but we are going to go and see him again then go back to Quincy. We are cleaning up his house and getting firewoood and stuff.

We will probably go back home for a few days until the doctors tell my dad when he will be released (3 more days minimum) and how many doctors appointments he will have. If there are a lot and soon he will probably stay with my aunt in Reno for awhile, but when he comes home we might go back to Quincy to help.

Billy is pretty sure he can find some work either with Kevin or Montey (sp?) so we can still send my mom money for rent to help out if we are in Quincy helping my dad.

No comments: